Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cup of Jesus

From Blog11

Cup of Jesus, cup of pain,
Cup of my eternal gain--
I was dead and dirty, lost,
But he paid the dreaded cost.
Nailed, he hung upon the tree--
Dying, drank the cup for me.
By his death I'm made alive.
By his loss I gain, I thrive.

Cup of horror--beaten raw,
Jesus satisfied the Law.
Skewered snake for all to see;
Nailed-up scandal sets me free.
All my sin upon him lay;
Righteousness is mine today.

Cup of Jesus, cup of shame,
Cup that clears my guilty name--
Jesus' cup of bitterness
Brings me life and hope and rest.
Jesus drank my pain, my woe;
Now, his praise is all I know.

So Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?”
--John 18:11

This poem was prompted by the chapter "The Cup" in The Darkness and the Glory. I'm not very far into the book yet, and it's not quick reading, but so far, reading it is well worth the effort. The book is an extended meditation on the time from the Garden of Gethsemane to Jesus' resurrection.

Poem ©2011 James L. Swindle. You may print up to 100 copies for non-commercial use. Photo by JLS is public domain.

5 comments:

Fyodor Lewis said...

This is a fantastic poem. I really like the rhythm.

dfish said...

Great poem. I enjoyed it.

Kathe W. said...

timely poem Jim. Your photos are beautiful-taking the ordinary and creating beautiful images.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Brother, I love the way some of your poems come out like the greatest old time hymns. This one is simply beautiful as well as totally true. Praise the Lord, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim Swindle said...

Fyodor Lewis, thanks. I appreciate encouragement from another poet.
dfish, I'm glad you liked it.
Kathe W., thanks for noticing the photo. I take thousands of them; use only a few. For this one, I used pomegranate juice, since it was open and looked close enough to grape juice. I looked through all of our cupboards and decided to use this goblet. Our kitchen counter and backsplash are the neutral background in this and various other photos.
Romanós, I hadn't noticed, but this one would work well as a hymn. The credit for that goes to the Lord, not me.