Thursday, June 02, 2011

I Must Kill Sin

From Blog11


I must kill sin, or sin will kill me--
Kill off my body, kill off my soul.
I must destroy it, kill both root and tree,
If I'm at last to be clean, to be whole.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
--Romans 8:13

I used the photo of the sign at the Alamo since it's a site where there was an all-out war, a fight to the death. In fighting against sin, we're fighting for something greater than independence from a political power that we don't like. We're fighting for our holiness and for God's glory.

4 comments:

dfish said...

Great post and point, Jim. Unless we understand that we will eventually lose what God offers in this life.

Jim Swindle said...

dfish, yes, there can be a very heavy price for persistent sin. The Lord's salvation covers the guilt of the sin of those who believe in him, but it doesn't eliminate all of sin's bad fruit in this life. It also doesn't restore the future rewards that are lost because of sin.

A real believer will be turning from sin. Lord God, may we be among that number.

gusDon said...

I always believe in God, though sometimes I do not understand many things that happens every day... I believe He is kind and always with me...

Jim Swindle said...

gudDon, thanks for the comment and welcome! The Lord is kind, and I certainly don't always understand his ways, either. We can know him truly (though not yet fully) through
--reading the Bible
--believing in Jesus
--following him along with others who do the same. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except by me." (John 14:6)