Monday, June 20, 2011

Instant Ancestor



Her steady gaze unnerves me,
Makes me gaze right back,
And yet she cannot see me.
Framed she is; white/black.

By now she's likely lying
In a musty tomb
And nobody is crying.
Weeping's left the room.

An ancestor bought cheaply,
Just a buck or two!
Perhaps she's looking like me...
No, she favors you.


You return man to dust
and say, “Return, O children of man!”

--Psalm 90:3 ESV

My thanks to Magpie Tales for the image. For other people's thoughts about it, follow the link. When I saw this image, I thought of the story of the woman who couldn't sell some old photos until she labeled them "Instant Ancestors."

16 comments:

Sioux said...

I loved the phrase "an ancestor bought cheaply."

R. Burnett Baker said...

She was looking at someone; looking FOR someone? And still abandoned to the second-hand store. I agree with Sioux's comment, and would add that our ancestors are never bought cheaply...

Rick

Jim Swindle said...

Sioux and R. Burnett Baker, thanks for stopping by. Our real ancestors are something we don't choose; we should be grateful for them.

Jj Rodriguez said...

your poem is in connection with my thoughts...

i love it...

JJRod'z

Helen said...

Jim, I really enjoyed this ....

Jim Swindle said...

Jj Rodriguez and Helen, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.

Margaret said...

Weeping's left the room

I like that.

Brian Miller said...

you know...i imagine a few ancestors have been bought over the years...smiles.

dfish said...

How many have been adopted because claiming them made the family tree sound better?

Donna B said...

"Her steady gaze unnerves me," love the first line... I really enjoyed reading this...I like the way you write...I wanted to keep on reading...GREAT JOB!

gautami tripathy said...

I see many layers in it. And all the stanzas can stand alone.

a statement

mindlovemisery said...

I agree her gaze is really mesmerizing. Beautiful poem

Tess Kincaid said...

She surely did favor me. Nice piece, Jim.

Steve Isaak said...

That last line really delivers the effect of the work. Good lead-up, superb end-line.

Mary said...

'Weeping's left the room'.. great line and a beautifully written piece.

Poetry Potluck said...

That's super creative.


share 1 to 3 poems with poetry potluck week 41 today.