Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fear of the Holy

What is that which gleams through me
And smites my heart without wounding it?
I both a-shudder and aglow.
A-shudder, in so far as I am unlike it,
aglow in so far as I am like it.
--St. Augustine,
as quoted in chapter 3 of
The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul.

From Blog11

Like a moth to the flame
I am drawn to Your fire,
To the awe of Your name:
You are all I desire.

I approach You with dread.
You could burn me to ash,
Leave me consciously dead,
Throw me out with the trash.

Yet I come--yes, I must
Seek to know You, the One
Whom to know is to trust--
Though I fear I'm undone.

And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
--Isaiah 6:5 ESV

5 comments:

dfish said...

The crux of the matter is whether we will come and be healed of flee to avoid the pain.

Myra said...

My husband and I went to Dayton, Ohio for a church conference. It was for youth in one section and for adults in the other. The adult conference was titled, "Suddenly Undone." The youth conference was titled, "Devastated and Ruined." I believe this is in reference to Isaiah. It was a national conference. I experienced God in a very special way. I do want to know God.

Jim Swindle said...

dfish, yes, it's a hope-or-hell choice...die to self now, or die eternally later.

Myra, thanks for the reminiscence. Looking back to special times with the Lord helps make us hungry for what he has ahead for us.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

To meet the Lord, in large or small, is to see I am nothing, and He is all.

Jim Swindle said...

Romanós, yes. Yet he IN me is large.