Sunday, October 16, 2011

As Easy as Duck Soup


"It's easy as duck soup," he said.

I thought of buying a duck
That hung in the market,
And of the work of making oodles of noodles
Starting with flour and egg,
And of the work of picking or pickling
Savory herbs for flavor.
I thought of simmering soup for hours.

Yes, it was as easy as duck soup,
And maybe I'd make it tomorrow,
But today my heart melts
With sympathies felt
For the duck.

The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside!
I shall be killed in the streets!” --Proverbs 22:13


Image courtesy Leon Benjamin. Click this link to see the full photo in its original location.
For more people's thoughts about dead ducks, look here.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Vegans are going to love your Magpie! Well done ..........

Brian Miller said...

i dont know if i am up for all that work...but duck is surely tasty...

Doctor FTSE said...

Well worked out poem, Jim. Thank you.

chiccoreal said...

Dear Jim: Glad you ducked on the duck! Besides they're way too greasy and elbow greasy;

"And of the work of picking or pickling"

Fun poem!

Jim Swindle said...

Helen, I'm not a vegan; just lazy (though sometimes creative) when it comes to cooking. :-)
Brian Miller, actually, I'm not sure whether I ever ate duck. I think I did once.
Doctor FTSE, thanks for the compliment. You're a very skilled writer.
chiccoreal, glad you enjoyed it.

Dave King said...

Amen - let's hear it for the duck!

dfish said...

Isn't it amazing ho many excuses we can find for putting things off?

Nicholas V. said...

Yes, indeed! Enjoyed this very much.
"Vegan" also features in my take...

Ann Grenier said...

Yes, we'd all be dead ducks if we didn't fight off the lions and tigers in our lives.

Morning said...

this is fabulous.

first you showed us you know the work behind, then you added your creative humor.
perfect and fun magpie.

Trellissimo said...

You ducks look far more appetising than the ones on the Magpie picture!

Jim Swindle said...

Dave King, thanks for stopping by.
dfish, yes.
Nicholas V., glad you liked it.
Ann Grenier, your comment brings a smile.
Morning, thanks for the compliment. I looked up the original photo...though now that I ponder it, I wonder whether the original was labelled correctly. Are these duck soup shops, or merely duck shops?
Trellissimo, I looked for one that was very clearly legal for me to re-use. Sometimes I'm picky about such things.

Tess Kincaid said...

Poor ducky duddle...

Arnab Majumdar said...

Ducks are cute.
They are also delicious.

It's almost a paradox, isn't it...?

Cheers,
Arnab Majumdar on SribbleFest.com