Monday, October 31, 2011

Inkpots and Typewriters and Grace

They say Martin Luther once flung an ink-pot at the devil, leaving a stain on the wall. We might chuckle or say he was crazy, but have we turned history right-side-up as he did?

Luther discovered (re-discovered) the biblical doctrine of justification by faith: We're made right with God not by our many right works, prescribed by the church or the Pope, but by simply turning from our sins to Jesus the Christ, who died for sinners and rose from the dead. (See the Bible's book of Romans.)Today, the 31st of October, is Reformation Day, when many churches celebrate Luther's work.

When I was young, we used typewriters, not ink-pots. I went through a university using the same portable typewriter that my mother and her sisters had used in college. As a graduation present, I got a shiny new blue electric Smith-Corona typewriter. I went through theological seminary on it. Now I have a computer and an inkjet printer. I can write all I want, with ease, but have not sparked any severe persecution. Lord, have mercy on me, a coward.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." --Ephesians 2:8-9

For other people's thoughts on this image, click here. For the image source, click here.

13 comments:

Kathy Bischoping said...

I didn't know this Martin Luther story! Great opening, and you tie back into it in a surprising way at the end.

Ann Grenier said...

I absolutely love this piece Jim: "...have not sparked any severe persecution, have mercy on me a coward". Love it!

Roy Schulze said...

I have the best computer I have ever had, and my productivity is fast approaching zero. And so what are the chances any of us will make history these days, coddled as we are by uncounted comforting distractions? My Magpie this week is Poet.

dfish said...

II Timothy 3:12 promises, "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." What does that say about our lives?

Brian Miller said...

nice bit on Luther...and i am sure if you wanted you could stir quite the controversy and gain your persecution...

Carrie Burtt said...

We all need a little grace in our lives Jim....love this story. :-)

Jim Swindle said...

Kathy Bischoping, glad you liked the end.
Ann Grenier, I'm really glad it spoke to you.
Roy Schulze, yes, the distractions of life conspire to keep us from really thinking.
dfish, there are various kinds of persecution; not all equally severe, but if we have no persecution, year after year, we aren't really following our Master.
Brian Miller, yes :-) -- but if we SEEK it, I doubt that it's of any value.
Carrie Burtt, I agree totally. Glad you liked it.

gautami tripathy said...

Loved it!

innards

Tess Kincaid said...

Typewriters contain such memories!

Jo Bryant said...

interesting story about MLK

Dave said...

I love the unreached people group widget. I saw the same one in my Perspectives class. I want to add it to my Game Apps blog. Can you tell us where you got it?

Dave Pilgrim said...

Yeah I think I would like to have it on my Spanish Seminary blog too or Seminario

Jim Swindle said...

Gautami Tripathy, I'm very glad you liked it.
Tess Kinkaid, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for providing the prompt.
Jo Bryant, welcome. I was writing of Martin Luther, not Martin Luther King, Jr. Maybe you knew that.
Dave and Dave Pilgrim (are you different Daves?) the widget is from The Joshua Project