Sunday, November 13, 2011

Where Have All the Children Gone?

image source: Google images, unknown photographer

Where have all the children gone?
The little girls
With baby curls?

Where have all the children gone?
The little boys
With macho toys?

Dead for our convenience,
Our pride and fears,
Our big careers.

Dead for our convenience,
No graves to mark
Their holy spark.

Where have all the children gone?
The chumps, the champs,
The saints, the scamps?

Where have all the children gone?
Sure as winds blow,
I think you know.

For you formed my inward parts;
      you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
      I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 

(Psalm 139:13-14 ESV)

Remember that whatever you have done wrong in the past, God offers you forgiveness. Turn from your sin and your self. Turn to Jesus. Read about him in the Bible; grow in him with his people. 

For more people's thoughts on this same image, click here.

10 comments:

Sue said...

Provocative and well written.

anthonynorth said...

Powerful words. Excellent.

Doctor FTSE said...

Questions trenchantly asked. Good stuff.

Brian Miller said...

dead for our convenience...ack...you wrote a stinger today...

Carrie Burtt said...

I used to have a sticker on my car when I was in my 20s that said:

"Everybody deserves a birthday"

love this Jim....powerful and true.

Morning said...

amazing wonders.
wow.
well done.

dfish said...

Quite thought provoking poem. Wish more would consider it.

Laurie Kolp said...

Beautiful and so very powerful. Thank you.

Ann Grenier said...

Thanks for your honest views on this issue ... the courage to state them in your poetry.

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you, each one, for your kind comments. I don't know quite how to respond, since it really doesn't matter what people think of me or of my poetry. What matters is what the Lord thinks of each of us, and what we think of him. So, just my sincere thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.