Sunday, November 27, 2011

Yesterday's Dreams

photo: Christine Donnier-Valentin

Yesterday's dreams
Sit by the side of the road,
Leaning against the dreams
Of the days--
Of the years--
Before them.

Now nobody stops for them.
Nobody treasures them.
They're still dreams--
As plump as ever,
As pink as ever.
But they're
Yesterday's dreams.


My days are past; my plans are broken off,
the desires of my heart. --Job 17:11

When his breath departs, he returns to the earth;
on that very day his plans perish. --Psalm 146:4

But he who is noble plans noble things,
and on noble things he stands. --Isaiah 32:8

For more people's thoughts about this photo, click here.


13 comments:

Kathy Bischoping said...

I like the role that the wall plays in this, itself a set of dreams.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love the notion of plump pink dreams.

Carrie Burtt said...

Jim this is a beautiful write!!

Jim Swindle said...

Kathy Bischoping, yes, the plans of the past are what (for me) connect the wall and the sofa.
Tess Kincaid, thanks.
Carrie Burtt, glad you liked it.

Helen said...

Hi there! So many dreams, maintaining them thru a lifetime is essential.

Brian Miller said...

sometimes dreams do get discarded for new ones...some not so bad...others tragic...

Trellissimo said...

No life can be empty of dreams and regrets. Nice one, Jim.

peaceroad said...

I love the positive, optimistic perspective that's being expressed in your poem. Whereas I looked at the red couch as discarded and used, you saw the dreams that it used to present and focused on that aspect. I appreciate that. Sometimes when we write, we get so hooked on our own perspective and attitude, and it's so refreshing to see the perspectives from others. Lovely poem. Thank you for visiting mine too.

Trellissimo said...

Dreams leaning on dreams - I like that!

dfish said...

Without a dream, a vision, the people perish. our dreams are vital, but setting the wrong goals can be a disaster.

Mary Ann Potter said...

Very astute observations in this poem. Wonderful use of scriptures, too. Remember that Job said, "What I feared came upon me."

HyperCRYPTICal said...

Beautiful write - dreams are aspired to and realised or not, often become forgotten - yet still exist somewhere deep in our memories.

Anna :o]

zongrik said...

how many dreams were dreamed on this couch