Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why Should I Come to Your Church?

From Blog 11 Added Illustrations

Why should I come to your church?
For fun by the bushel and pleasures galore?
Why should I come to your church?
For screaming and laughter that grows more and more?

Why should I come to your church?
For action and music and camels and lights?
Why should I come to your church?
For Santa and reindeer and sweet starry nights?

Where is the Lord in your church?
Drowned out by the noise? Maybe outside the door?
No, I won't come to your church
If Jesus the Savior is not at the core.

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
--1 Corinthians 2:2 ESV

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
--Philippians 3:7-8 ESV

I try to balance serious poems with more encouraging ones.  I've broken that rule by posting this. I wish I could say this church scene is a fake, but it isn't. However, there ARE good, faithful churches.

3 comments:

dfish said...

Great Poem, Jim.

It seems many churches think the goal is getting a large attendance, or a lot of professions, rather than about worshiping God. The focus is on producing a "worship" program that will draw a crowd, although most of the worship involved is not directed toward God, and displays little humility or Spiritual understanding.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Yes, what dfish says seems true in my experience with 'modern' churches, but even the Orthodox church in which I find myself can do similar things, even while worshiping in an ancient pattern that leaves little room for individualistic expression.

What the Father accepts is 'worship in spirit and truth' and only that, no matter who does it, what it looks like, and even in spite of any mistaken ideas we may have about Him.

In spirit and truth I can still worship Him even in the most carnal setting, and even in the most spiritual liturgy, I can still engage in secret fantasies, about myself, about others, even about Him.

Let us pray for ourselves and all the brethren, that our worship be God-bestowed, for only by His mercy can we serve Him in spirit and in truth.

Jim Swindle said...

dfish, agreed.
Romanós, yours is a very insightful comment. Thanks for the gentle correction.