Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A City and a King

image: Lee Friedlander

I have a city and a king,
But not the city Broadway knows,
And not the king the stages sing--
No, not the king this photo shows.

I have a city and a king--
A king who's strong, but knows my name;
His presence makes my glad heart sing
And dance with joy and praise his fame.

My city reaches skyful height
And yet it shines beneath one's feet.
It's always day there, never night,
And gold is pavement on the street.

I haven't seen that city yet,
Its king is not just yet in view,
But he has promised we will get
To be there--home--forever new.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, 
coming down out of heaven from God, 
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
-Revelation 21:2 ESV

...for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me,
the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns that can hold no water.

--Jeremiah 2:13 ESV

From Blog12

For other people's thoughts on the New York City image, click here.

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Amen.Looking forward to the great day. Haven't written poetry myself for a long while. Hope the inspiration comes again soon.
Blessings Jim.

dfish said...

The longer I live, the better New Jerusalem looks. Praise God we're only legal aliens here with a work visa.

Carrie Burtt said...

A beautiful tribute to the greatest architect of all Jim! :-)

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Another great poem, but I wonder if perhaps you have inadvertently omitted a word in this line, because the rhythm and the sense seems to lack a syllable:

'Its king is not just yet view,' should read, 'Its king is not just yet in view,'

I italicised the preposition just because it seems to be the missing word. If I am correct, of course, there should be no italic for emphasis. What do you think?

Jim Swindle said...

Elaine, if the Lord wants you to write, then write...and if it's no good, throw it away. If, on the other hand, you're at peace not writing for awhile, just follow him.
dfish, amen.
Carrie Burtt, thanks for the encouragement.
Romanós, you're right. I've corrected the poem.

Tess Kincaid said...

This brings to mind some of the grand old hymns...nice write Jim...

Jim Swindle said...

Tess, thanks. If you'd like to read (or sing) some great new hymns (not mine), check out www.gettymusic.com .