Monday, January 30, 2012

Red Spot

Red Spot II, Wallisy Kandinsky

A surfboard, a spider and an eclipse
Met with some triangles and guitar picks.
Fresh green and clean red--no color to lack--
Bright yellow and blue, pure white and deep black.
Their shapes slightly giddy; all slightly a-whirl,
They danced and they partied like blithe boys and girls.

Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. (Luke 15:7 ESV)

I don't endorse Kandinsky's theories of art, but I recognize his amazing artistic ability.
For other people's thoughts on this same image, click here.

This particular poem by JLS is public domain, 2012.

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles....you break apart the elements and put them back together again...a party of the abstract...nice...

booguloo said...

I like what you've done in your interpretation.

dfish said...

Good writing is writing which clearly conveys the message. Most critics wish to deify writing because of it's obscurity. The same thing is true of many art critics. If the art can't be appreciated without some expert explanation it isn't good art. The sample here is attractive on it's own account.

Sue said...

I like the way you still give him props.

=)

Jim Swindle said...

Brian Miller, thanks. I like your phrase, "a party of the abstract."
booguloo, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for encouragement.
dfish, I mostly agree with you, but not completely. A bit of mystery in writing or in art can be a good thing. Yet if a poem or a painting makes no sense to a person in the audience, then to that person it's hardly poetry or art. I'm reminded of a symphony concert I attended long ago. The featured composition (by the famous guest conductor) had lots of sounds from musical instruments, but it lacked melody, harmony and rhythm. Once you subtracted those, for me it was not music. (I didn't say that for me it was bad music. For me, it wasn't music.)
Sue, thanks for that thought.

Dave King said...

Cool and great fun.

Trellissimo said...

I wonder if Kandinsky ever repented of Red Spot II.

Carrie Burtt said...

"Spot on Jim"....i love the Luke verse to! :-)