Sunday, February 26, 2012

Indecision


photo credit: Bob Adelman, 1965

My indecision
Followed me at every turn,
Turning shopping into research,
Label-reading into a strange art.
Which was better--
Chicken Noodle, or Chicken with Rice?
Beefy Bean, or Bean with Bacon?

I read the red and white labels,
Read them again,
And finally, painfully,
Made a choice.
"And," as Frost said,
"That has made all the difference."

Or has it?

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

(1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV)
 
I based this poem on the thoughts that came when seeing this old photo. Not until after I wrote the poem did I realize that the fellow in the photo is Andy Warhol, who became famous for painting a picture of a can of soup. I wonder...did he ever pay any royalties to the person who designed the soup can?

For other people's thoughts about this photo, click here.

12 comments:

Dave King said...

I for one am glad you didn't know. If you had we might not have had this fab' little poem!

Trellissimo said...

Turning shopping into research,
Label-reading into a strange art.

That, of course, is if your eyes can read the small print? Not to mention the word verification horror of the day...

Jim Swindle said...

Dave King, Thanks. The photo looks a lot like I looked in those days.
Trellissimo, my eyes have always been fairly good at the small print on labels, though it gets harder now that I'm old. As for word verification, I let Google control that; sorry you had a bad experience.

Helen said...

He does appear to be a bit confused over all those choices, doesn't he? Nice to read your poem this morning.

Carrie Burtt said...

They say not ever making a choice is a choice in itself....love your piece Dave! :-)

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done....thanks for this

Tess Kincaid said...

Ha! I'm not really a label reader...in fact I don't buy many items that have a label...I like the fresh stuff...nice write!

Quiet Paths said...

This made me smile. For a minute there I thought you'd skip the soup and just go for the frosted flakes in the next aisle. :) Thanks for the visit to my blog...

Jim Swindle said...

Helen and Carrie Burtt, thanks.
Wayne Pitchko, welcome. I don't think I've seen a comment from you before.
Tess Kincaid, I don't think I would have pictured you as a label-reader. Yes, more a natural foods type fits your writing.
Quiet Paths, welcome also. I did eat corn flakes in those days. PS - Your photography is really excellent.

Brian Miller said...

nice...does it matter? does anything matter? well in that context it does...smiles.

~T~ said...

Some choices make more difference than others, don't they? Nice poem about a familiar feeling.

Jim Swindle said...

Brian Miller and ~T!, thanks for stopping by. Every decision matters, but some DO matter a lot more than others. There are minor decisions where making the decision is more important than which decision is made.