Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Monster Within



The monster within
Would woo me and thrill me
And ruthlessly kill me.

The monster within
Would wine me and bed me
And gnaw me and shred me.

The monster within--
My enemy, sin.

So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin
and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
(Romans 6:11 ESV)

For if you live according to the flesh you will die,
but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

(Romans 8:13, ESV)

The illustration is cypress tree roots (or "knees"). They aren't sinister, but they can look odd.

5 comments:

dfish said...

another great poem. Jim.

Myra said...

We have really large cypress knees here. Good poem. Have you printed any of your work in a book?

Jim Swindle said...

dfish, thanks for encouragement.
Myra, I've printed a book of children's whimsical poems, but not my poems for grown-ups. I've been thinking of issuing the children's book and some of these as books for Kindle and Nook.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Should the last stanza read...
The monster within
My enemy, sin.
???

Jim Swindle said...

Romanós, you're right, of course. My proof-reading skills failed this time. I've corrected the error.