Sunday, March 18, 2012

I Met a Homeless Man

Sweet Dreams

I met a homeless man
Who wandered place to place
And stayed wherever he could find.

His sturdy feet and calloused hands
Said he had known a lot of work,
But he was tender to those we called trash
And reached with kindness toward each child.

He asked me to become like him--
A homeless man,
In debt to all
Who give him food,
Yet free from all,
As free as rain--
And fresh and clean and pure.

I met a homeless man
Who wandered place to place
And stayed wherever he could find--
And he has brought me home.

And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
(Luke 9:58 ESV) 


Image by Noel Feans. This particular poem by Jim Swindle is public domain. 

Jesus doesn't demand that all of us be homeless, and I'm not homeless in the world's sense of that word. Yet he calls us to have our real citizenship in the heavens. We're not at home here. 

 

2 comments:

dfish said...

Great poem, Jim.

Too often we forget who Jesus really is, and that he is able to help us because he has been through the worst the world has to offer.

Rahul said...

Life as we know it is the greatest creation on earth, living it is complex yet simple. Complexity lies in the future while simplicity lies at present. past is gone, future is unknown, but today is a gift so we call it present, live it, enjoy it.


You can see me at my blog.....
www.freedomofexpression-rahul.blogspot.in