Saturday, April 07, 2012

Laying Aside the Robe



Jesus laid aside his robe
To wash disciples' feet.

Peter laid aside his robe
To wade from sea to shore.

Some men laid aside their robes
To kill the martyr Stephen.

I lay aside my robe
To wear a robe from Christ.

My older robe, my unsaved self,
Is laid aside for Him.

...to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.


(Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV)

2 comments:

dfish said...

Great post.

I wonder why so many refuse to but on the new robe or put the old one back on? They remind me of the present fashion of clothing that has been distressed to make it look worn out. As a child we sometimes wore such clothing because we couldn't afford new ones, but as we could, we wanted the new ones.

Jim Swindle said...

dfish, thanks for the interesting comments. Did you ever think about the fact that when Jesus rose, he no longer had his robe for which the soldiers had gambled? Even he was re-clothed in the resurrection.