Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

The last Monday in May is Memorial Day here in the USA.

From Blog12

I walk among the soldiers’ graves…
Some new, some old, some in-between…
And hear the wind that stirs the trees.

A colder wind blows through my soul,
With gusts of grief and might-have-been.
I see the love they never knew,
The handsome sons they never sired,
The wives and girlfriends weeping wild,
The parents’ hopes now sere and bare.

I walk among the soldiers’ graves
And pause to think and briefly pray.


It is better to go to the house of mourning
than to go to the house of feasting,
for this is the end of all mankind,
and the living will lay it to heart.

(Ecclesiastes 7:2 ESV)

You may also like an earlier Memorial Day poem.

4 comments:

dfish said...

Without an awareness of the past and of our weakness frailty, we will never progress or grow because we see no need. Perhaps this is why so little emphasis is put on memory in our day.

Outsourcing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim Swindle said...

dfish, that's an excellent observation.

Jim Swindle said...

Outsourcing, I removed your comment because I thought it was spam. After looking again, I may have been wrong about that.