Saturday, June 02, 2012

First Car

From Blog12


I remember the car, the freedom it gave
For going and doing and coming back home.
But it wasn't a statement of who I then was--
No, just my way out; transportation, that's all.

Its sleek glamor, its lines, its sporty appeal
Were irony since they were wasted on me.
I would drive it, just drive like a little old man.
No tickets; just wheels; just my ride--nothing more.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."   (Matthew 6:19-21 ESV)

 
The Chevrolet in the photo reminded me of the era of my first car. Actually, my first car was a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda.  

4 comments:

The Poetic Homemaker said...

Reading this reminded me of my first car, but of course, like everything in this world, it wasn't meant to last.

Good scripture verse!

dfish said...

How we view something depends totally on our priorities. Yours being on transport. Someone whose focus was on appearance however would be upset that it wasn't as nice as someone else's car.

Great poem.

Erwin Calverley said...

Memories are meant to last, but material things aren’t. A good example is a car. The moment we first ride it will be engraved in our memory, but the car will eventually wear out and deteriorate. By the way, how many years did you use your car before you finally got to replace it? It took me 5 years to replace the one given to me by my parents.

Erwin Calverley

Jim Swindle said...

Each comment adds something useful. Erwin Calverley, I must confess that my first several cars were gifts to me. They included a Chevrolet Vega and later a Chevette and more.