Saturday, November 24, 2012

Yellow Leaves


Some leaves as yellow as Frost's wood
Were strewn across my lawn.
I loved to see them lying there,
This autumn's wealth of gold,
But then, suburbanite I am,
I ground them into shreds
So I could see the boring lawn.
I needed exercise,
And they were ready to be ground,
But now their glory's shredded, too,
As if it never was,
Until some more leaves goldly fall.


While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, 
summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.
(Genesis 8:22 ESV)


My wife says, "The leaves weren't ready to be ground. They were just lying happy where God put them. Every year he puts them there."
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Donald Fishgrab said...

Next year, you'll have need more water and fertilizer because you didn't allow The leaves to decay the way God intended. How much of modern society's demands has a similaar effect on our lives.

Jim Swindle said...

Donald, you're mostly right, but I don't haul off what I grind up. The ground-up leaves sit in the lawn and slowly get absorbed into the soil.