Wednesday, July 03, 2013

There's Work Before the Storm

Image by Musin Yohan
There's work before the storm.
All bundled well, a mix
Of dry-as-tinder sticks.
Five miles to keep us warm.

I wish we had a man.
My Will did all he said,
But now--it hurts!--he's dead.
So I do what I can.

There's beauty in that sky.
A brightness says to rush
Before winds howl and crush--
To rush while sticks are dry.

Tonight we'll sit all warm.
At least, that is my plan.
I'll make it, if I can.
Five miles before the storm!

For you [O Lord] have been a stronghold to the poor,
        a stronghold to the needy in his distress,

a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat.... (Isaiah 24:5 ESV)
 
 


This poem is fiction, based on the remarkable image. For other people's thoughts on this same image, click here.

4 comments:

Helen said...

.. love the quiet strength of your poem.

Tess Kincaid said...

Very nice, Jim...nice to see you again...

Jose Xavier said...

it is very nice to follow
meet me on
Facebook.com/josethankey

Rik no Orkut said...

Legal!