Sunday, November 24, 2013

Prison Walls Won't Lock Me In



Prison walls won't lock me in
If in my heart I'm free,
Washed, forgiven, freed from sin,
Now clean for all to see.

Bought by Jesus, God's own Lamb,
Released from guilt and shame--
God can use me where I am
To glorify his name.

If, though, I'm my own self-trust,
I'll surely swiftly fall--
Rot and burn with clawing rust,
Just trash behind a wall.

Set before me is a choice
Of heaven or of hell,
Of joy or terror at God's voicc--
A choice! May I choose well.

Whoever has the Son has life;
whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 
(1 John 5:12 ESV)


I wrote this for a relative who is in prison. It's in the mail to him, but won't have arrived yet.

2 comments:

Donald Fishgrab said...

Great poem. I hope the person you wrote it for understands the message.

Jim Swindle said...

Thanks, Donald Fishgrab. I pray so.