Sunday, December 08, 2013

The Poppy


The poppy's fragile beauty
Transports me to Nebraska
Where well-worn hands had planted
Some poppies for the pleasure
Of seeing their frail petals.

And yet the poppy's ruined
The lives of perhaps millions
Who found its sap addictive.
That opium now owned them--
Enslaved, a life of dying.

And so I see the poppy--
Its loveliness and peril,
And thank the Lord our maker
For those who taught me limits;
Of beauty that's for looking.

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." (Genesis 2:16-17 ESV)

"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything. (1 Corinthians 6:12 ESV)

In the quote from 1 Corinthians, the apostle is not saying that he no longer needs to beware of things that are enslaving. He's saying that even if something is lawful, he wont partake of it if it's not also helpful. He won't let it make him his slave.

No comments: