To see Christ from a distance,
To know him from afar,
To satisfy our curiosity
But never die with him--
Is still to be a sinner,
Is still to live in lies,
Is still to follow Satan,
Denying Jesus Christ.
Yet He still gives forgiveness
To failing, fallen men
If they will turn from self-made ways
To trust and follow Him.
And all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes came together...Now the chief priests and the whole Council were seeking testimony against Jesus to put him to death, but they found none. (Mark 14:53, 55 ESV)
These priests and elders and scribes had
- The right scriptures
- The right Temple
- The right kinds of animals for sacrifices.
- The One to whom the scriptures pointed
- The One whose body was the true Temple
- The One who was the true Lamb of God
- The only One who ever fully kept the whole Law.