Saturday, June 21, 2014

Growing Older

Photo credit: Hartwig HKD. Some rights reserved. The poem is public domain.

I once was filled with hopes and dreams
Of serving God in bigger ways,
Of preaching to a growing church;
Of mission work, and writing, too,
Composing songs and writing books
And trusting God to meet our needs.

I prayed that we would have a home
Filled up with love. I didn’t care
About a house. A room or two
Would do.
But if a house, a house where strangers could come in
And feel our love
And meet our Lord
And start their lives anew.

That’s how my heart was
Some short years ago.

Now youth is gone,
And twilight’s closing in
Much faster than I dreamed.
My strength is fading.
My hopes have faded, gone
To live in other younger men.
O, may they live them,
Not just dream them for awhile!

My mind, once swift and bright
As any shooting star,
Now alternately leaps and limps.
Will I be senile shortly now,
Unable to do anything but wait
For death’s release to life above?

If so, our God will see me through.
While dreams are dying all around
And hope lies shattered on the ground,
I hear one thought, still, clear and true.
“There is a God! He cares for you.”

Written May or June, 1994. In reading this after 20 years, I sense an undertone of self-pity and discouragement. I'm thankful that I rarely pity myself these days. 

I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.
(Psalm 37:25 ESV. Read all of verses 23-26.)

No comments: