Saturday, September 26, 2015
Father, most amazing God,
Thank you for your holy power
Working through your stumbling church
So we grow by your own grace.
Give discernment to resist
Shiny Christian baubles, bright
Promises of holiness
That we purchase--no cash down.
You're the source of holiness,
Inner fire, a heart that burns
Only for your glory, Lord,
Only by your Spirit's work.
Holy Spirit, burn in us.
Burn away our smelly pride
Until you are all that's left
And for us, to live is Christ.
For me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)
Saturday, September 19, 2015
Life seems so long.
We climb each rung,
And we are strong.
But years go by
And soon we’re old
And then we die
And flesh is cold.
Is this the end?
It cannot be.
Around this bend,
And I surmise
Beyond the clay
God’s saints will rise
To endless day.
But woe to those
Who hate his Son.
Their anguished woes
Are never done.
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life;
whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life,
but the wrath of God remains on him.
(John 3:36 ESV)
If you're not sure what all of this is about, click here for the best news ever.
Friday, September 11, 2015
Father, I feel far away from you,
And you have never moved.
Grant me fresh repentance, deep and true.
Does my piety all stink to you
Of phoniness and moods?
Make me give my all, since all is due.
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
Cleanse your hands, you sinners,
and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
(James 4:8 ESV)
Wednesday, September 02, 2015
1. Because it’s God’s will for you. (1 Thes. 4:3)
2. Because it’s God’s command. (1 Thes. 4:7)
3. Because it fits the nature of your God, who is holy. (1 Pet 1:15-17)
4. Because of God’s impartial judgment. (1 Pet 1:17)
5. Because it reflects honor to him. (1 Cor 6:30 and 10:31)
6. Because you were ransomed by the blood of Christ from the futile ways that you inherited from your forefathers. (1 Peter 1:18-19)
7. Because those peoples who don’t know God live in passion of lust, not in holiness. (1 Thes 4:5)
8. Because God’s Spirit is the Holy Spirit. (1 Thes 4:8)
9. Because God has given you the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)
10. Because of the deceitfulness of sin. (Heb 3:13)
11. Because of the wiles of the devil. (Eph 6:1)
12. Because of the eternal rewards of the righteous. (Prov 4:18; Matt 13:43-49; 1 Cor 9:24-25; 1 Pet 1:3-5)
13. Because of the temporary nature of sensual pleasures. (Heb 11:25)
14. Because of the freedom of walking in the truth. (John 8:32)
15. Because of the evil days you live in. (Eph 5:15-16)
16. Because you died to sin. (Rom 6:1)
17. Because you’re no longer a slave to sin. (Rom 6:5-7)
18. Because the wages of sin is death. (Rom 6:23)
19. Because you’ve been told to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (Eph 4:24)
20. Because presenting your body as a living sacrifice is appropriate spiritual worship. (Rom 12:1-2)
21. Because holiness produces more holiness. (Rom 6:16)
22. Because your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 6:19)
23. Because you belong to God, not to yourself. (1 Cor 6:20)
24. Because it’s right and honorable. (1 Thes 4:4)
25. Because if you disregard it, you’re disregarding God. (1 Thes 4:8)
26. Because the Lord is an avenger of those who are wronged. (1 Thes 4:6)
27. Because the apostles’ lives demonstrate that it’s possible. (1 Thes 2:10)
28. Because joy is a fruit of being filled with the Holy Spirit. (1 Thes 1:6; Gal 5:22)
29. Because you’ve been taught that you must be holy. (Eph 4:20; 1 Thes 4:1)
30. Because Jesus prayed for you to have it. (John 17:17-19)
31. Because it leads to unity in the church. (John 17:21)
32. Because it’s the aim of the apostle Paul’s teaching (1 Tim 1:5)
33. Because without holiness, no one will see the Lord. (Heb 12:14)